FInally, a "White Man's Store..."


This picture says so much. It's offensive, it's edgy and it's uncomfortable to look at as an American. Not many years ago I would have been more than offended, I would have flown into combat mode ~ along with Old Glory. What this picture does for me is it reminds me that our country did the very things we are so vehemently, dare I say arrogantly, saying are wrong today. And these things ARE wrong, back then and today. But we quickly forget and it leads to pride and not humility. "What goes around, comes around." comes to mind.

I have a BIG mouth. I am self aware and I really do say about 10% of what goes through my head. Especially if I feel like what I might have to say will just be offensive for offense sake I keep it shut. That's how I've been feeling about racism/prejudice lately. Been keeping my mouth closed - for the most part. I'm about to say the other 90% of what's in my head...feel free to read on or not. I'm cussin' mad, but my mom reads this blog and she grew up where those words were used so much they lost every bit of meaning. I used to feel bad for getting mad about things, but then Jesus threw tables and chairs around regarding injustice. :)

So my family of origin is a mix of everything European and Native American. I grew up in the South and still remember grown Black men and women (many of what we call "African American" folks are not from Africa - and I'm not French American either....so, yeah) addressing me as "Ma'am" and serving me/relating to me as if I were superior. We moved to Texas when I was 12 and nothing much changed except that the people were no longer Black, but Mexican. Even being a child I remember being uncomfortable - obviously couldn't put language to it, but uncomfortable still the same.

I've mentioned before that my mom sat in the back of the bus as a child in the 40's/50's. And my dad played semi professional and professional football where a lot of his good friends were Black. So I came into this home life where my parents were bridging gaps in the time when civil rights was shifting culture. But we all have our prejudices - even my parents. Even me.

As time would go by I would be able to closely experience the Mexican culture and Black culture. Many times - even today - I feel more comfortable in these cultures than I do with my own. But I drew the line at Russians and Arabs. These combative people were clearly evil and really - I didn't think they could "feel" like we do. As a girl Americans were certain that Russians were going to send nuclear warheads to our homeland and Arabs hated Jews and as a Christian I was supposed to love and "pray for Israel" and Arabs hated her. Cut and dry. Pretty clear - my prejudices were justified. Over time God began to allow me to meet Arabs and Russians. And I loved them. That's what happens when you fall in love with Jesus. He died for EVERYONE...not just Anglo Americans.

The other day I was shopping in my Neighborhood WalMart - the small kind. I was 1 of 4 other white people in the store. The majority were Mexican. I love this - how they're taking their land back. Makes me smile. I guess they are retaliating to our "Manifest Destiny" in the kindest of ways. But anyway - I'm on the paper goods aisle and I hear behind me "Well, I'm glad we finally got us a WHITE MAN'S store in our neighborhood." We were the only white people on the aisle - he was talking to me and every person of color around us.

Now. You know I have two teen boys who tower over me, they're strongly opinionated and I've backed them down over the years several times. So this older, pot bellied man in his 60's didn't scare me. In fact, it took everything in me to not walk up to him and punch him in the face. But I didn't. I ignored him and kept walking. I forget how arrogantly base we can be - and OBVIOUSLY not aware that we are a minority in "our neighborhood." I immediately hated him. Really - hated him - not just angry at the Evil dripping from his unshaven face, but I hated him enough that I wished I could hurt him. Oh, Jesus. Come. And He has as I've asked Him to help me love this man. I'm sure I'll run into him again at "our" store.

I think in our generation we're afraid to say that something is Evil. We'd rather attack people/groups rather than Evil. People do Evil and the opposite of Evil is Love - it's what changes things. It's why I don't let my toddlers dominate adult conversation, or yell through the grocery store - I love them. However, we are so forgetful of our American past that we hate the Mexicans who are taking back their land because - blast it all - WE TOOK IT A LONG TIME AGO...it's still our turn!!! And the poverty stricken neighborhoods we like to attack...I'm guessing you don't have friends who live there?? It's easy to see things so "clearly" when we're isolated in our nice White Mans World. And can I say from experience that it's easier to open our mouths than it is to enter in and actually help make a difference.

And prejudice isn't quarantined to color. Many times we'd rather shame and further distance ourselves from mothers who've aborted their children by the hate I see every day online. Guess what - if I'm a pregnant teen, I'm not coming to you with my raw, fear filled thoughts. We don't offer her help - we point her to sterile adoption agencies, but we offer her shame for feeling so scared and ALONE THAT SHE WOULD KILL HER BABY. Not to mention we've allowed and fed a culture that tells her that a career is more important than the child in her womb that would ruin that opportunity. Make up your mind.

If we were fighting the evil of abortion we'd be opening our homes and our lives to those babies along with our mouths. "Actions speak louder than words." comes to mind. This is one thing I love about my husband. And sometimes I hate it. ;) He puts actions with his words. If he hears about a young mom who's considering abortion he says "Tell her we'll take and raise the baby." (He forgets we have six children. ;) I guess I'd like to see post where people are saying "If you're ever in a scary place where you feel like abortion is the only option - give me a call. I want to help! You're loved and valued!!!!" But that might cramp our style - our vacations, our retirements, our lives. Love often does. 

I think identifying Evil means that we are responsible to bring the Goodness/Truth/LOVE we have to offer. And that's scary. If we can keep hating people we're free from responsibility to change. It's their problem. But what LOVE does is addresses and engages in the OBVIOUS issues - hey it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we need help, you're not saying anything revelatory - and decides to battle Evil with Love. And it's exhausting, it's not too rewarding, it's many times invisible, and you can become cynical. But there is nothing like seeing/being a part of the transformation that LOVE brings. I know because people have loved me when I was not/am not lovable. It's so opposite of how we like to fight battles. It's not as glamourous for sure, but LOVE WINS. It always WINS.

So if you see me talking to an old man with a dirty beard at my Neighborhood WalMart and hear me inviting him to dinner you'll know that it's Jesus' upside down/inside OUT OF MY BOX kind of Love for him, because what I'd really like to do...is punch him in the face. ;)




Comments

Popular Posts