Enough

Something keeps itching at the back of my mind like a tag in a shirt that bothers you sometimes and not so much for most of the day. It has to do with effectiveness in the Kingdom and leaving a mark for generations and mostly trust.

When Chris was reading the story of Simon (a man in a Chinese prison for his faith in Jesus. Later he birthed a church planting movement) I was encouraged and discouraged at the same time. :) Part of me heard what was being said, that hearing and obeying Jesus bears fruit. The other part of me felt super discouraged as I once again remember that I am an American housewife. What difference does THAT make?

It bothers me sometimes, being an American mom and wife. Seems pointless in the Big Picture, but I do know it matters to my children and husband. The daily nothings that are something if they’re not done faithfully make sense to the physical and emotional wellbeing of my family. But it’s not being brave enough to be put in prison for my faith – not the sacrifice that births a movement. At least I’m not seeing it that way.

So in the daily mothering and schooling I read a book to my three year old called, “That Book Woman” and I’m starting to see. Like finally getting the scissors to cut out the tag that has irritated me for long enough. Impact is visible.

The book I read to my daughter is about the traveling librarians of Kentucky and Appalachia in general that Roosevelt initiated in the recovery plan of America’s poor. These were women (and several men:) that traveled up the creek beds and overgrown trails of mountains in search families that lived in too remote of areas to have access to books.

These loving pioneers were paid little. But they braved winter storms and spring sludge running down the mountains as their horses plodded them up to bring “chicken scratch”, as the cabin dwellers called it, to the people the rest of us cared little or nothing about. These traveling librarians cared for the broken and they made a difference. Their pursuit wasn’t comfort, but they did want to BRING comfort to the uncomfortable.

So the tag is out and in my hand. Impact lies in hearing and obeying. Not condemnation, not comparison, not guilt; but in fellowshipping with my Father so closely that I can feel His heartbeat and know from that what He’s feeling and thinking and what I should do and doing it.

Like all tags that are cut out – I’m throwing the nuisance in the trash. Done with the irritating “What you’re doing isn’t enough.” Enough is hearing and obeying. And like the librarians, trusting that what I’m doing will make a difference, not because it’s dramamtic, but because it’s what He’s asked me to do. Letting Him work out the results. Not worrying if people think it’s “enough” or not.

So when we all wait before the throne to see everyone receive their reward, I’ll be looking for the Appalachian librarians. Surprised I’m sure as the last are made first and the fathers of movements are helping them carry their rewards. These precious saints are going to hear a loud “WOOOO HOOO!” from me, this American housewife and mom from Tennessee. :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

  1. Precious Ami,

    Your humility in thinking you aren't doing anything major is proof that you are! Talk about having an impact..YOU, most dear one, are raising a family to love Him with their whole heart, mind, body, and strength, and preparing them for what God has for them. In the process, the way that you do this is impacting everyone who knows you. You teach us all so much through your insight, compassion, and loving care. God is using you in a mighty way to teach us all what God's picture of a godly wife and mother is. You are an example for women everywhere.

    Please continue to share your thoughts and insights through this blog. This is as brave, courageous,and effective way to reach others for the kingdom, as those Appalachian librarians, except that you are reaching many more people.

    You are beloved and highly favored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious Dobber,

    Mom and I are at Chuck and Pam's, and Pam asked me to read your blog. I think this is only the second blog that I have ever read. My email's are enough for me to handle.

    First, I want to tell you how much your mom and I love you, and how very thankful we are that you are our daughter. You are a life-giving stream of God's love, and a breath of fresh air, in a world that is growing more evil every day. And the Godly impact you are having is beyond anything you could ever imagine. I am reminded of the scripture in John 21:18-22.

    "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, when thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee? Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me."

    The verse that I want to emphasize is verse 22. "If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow me."

    In a world where most people are not satisfied with who they are and what they are doing, this verse will bring freedom, if applied. Where God has chosen for others to be born on planet earth, and what they are spending their lives doing should not be our concern. Nor should we want to be in their shoes. This is where anxiety, frustration, feelings of incompetence, etc. come from. God made each of us unique for a special purpose, regardless of what others are accomplishing. And that is what Jesus is saying to each of us in the above verse. "What is that to you? Follow Me." As you say on your blog. What does God want of me? If He has something beyond what you are doing, He will tell you. Otherwise, your impact as a godly mother and wife, and your counsel and witness to others that God puts in your path on a daily basis is your purpose. So rest in Him and follow Him fully. Pure ministry flows from Him. He is our peace!

    I remember, years ago, that we were going to supper with a couple that attended our church, when she brought up the name of a young minister, and the fact that he had acquired a large tract of land to build a new church, and had raised several million dollars that week at a fundraiser. When I heard that, I became hurt, and angry at God because we had been struggling in ministry for years, trying to please the Lord, and loving Him with all our hearts, yet nothing seemed to change. Now, here was this young,inexperienced preacher, who's father was a famous preacher, with a big church and TV ministry, being able to purchase a prime piece of property and raise these millions of dollars for his church without having to go through the struggles and sacrifices we had make for the gospel. I voiced my frustrations to the couple in the back seat and immediately the woman leaned forward, touched my shoulder, and said to me. "What is that to you?" Then she gave me the scripture in John 21:22, in regard to Jesus' response to Peter. It set me free that night, and every time I find myself thinking about what others are doing, I remind myself of that verse, and run back to Him as my resting place. It really works!

    Thanks for listening to your dad, and may our Father God's peace continue to rest upon you and your family.

    All my love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts